The Western Wisconsin Health Fitness Center and Therapeutic Pool has exciting news—we will be re-opening on June 1, 2021! This last year has been extremely challenging, and we appreciate your patience. We want to help our community be well and do everything we can to help you get back on your feet. To show our appreciation and support to the community, memberships will be FREE (you read that right, I said FREE!) to everyone who lives, works, or receives health care services in our community (Baldwin, Woodville, Hammond, Roberts, Spring Valley, Glenwood City). Free memberships will be available between June 1, 2021 to June 1, 2022. Please make sure you read below on how these free memberships will work.
One reason we remained closed as long as we did was to keep our patients safe. The Western Wisconsin Health Fitness Center and Pool are unique in that they are connected to the clinic and hospital, and we frequently have very high-risk patients using these facilities. For that reason, we will be requesting members to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before accessing the Fitness Center or Pool. If you need to schedule an appointment to receive your vaccine, please call 715-684-1111. Masks will continue to be required as recommended by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and must be worn in the fitness center, locker rooms, and on the pool deck. While in the pool physical distancing measures will be strictly enforced to allow swimmers to remove their masks in the water.
To accommodate as many swimmers as possible while still practicing physical distancing requirements, pool capacity will be limited and appointments are required. For appointments please call the fitness center front desk during staffed hours at (715) 684-1642.
Read our FAQ to learn more:
- 90 Degree water temperature
- 3’6″ to 5’6″ pool depth
- Staff operated chair lift available
- Assisted changing room
- Two propulsion jets for resisted swimming and water running
- Cushioned pool floor
- Supervised by certified, experienced staff
Open Swim is by appointment only. Please call (715) 684-1642
Open Swim Hours:
Mondays and Wednesdays:
6:30-9:00am. 10:30-12:00pm. 1:00-4:00pm.
Health and Safety
The health and safety of pool members is our top priority. Please consider the following.
- If you are experiencing symptoms of Covid-19 please refrain from using the pool and get tested as soon as possible. We will continue to practice a minimum of 6 feet of physical distancing in the pool. Please continue to wear masks in the locker rooms and on the pool deck.
- State law requires all swimmers to shower before entering the pool. Parasites like Cryptosporidium are found in traces of human stool and are resistant to chlorine treatments and water filtration systems. For this reason please refrain from using the pool for two weeks after experiencing diarrhea.
- Street shoes can track in dirt and germs and are prohibited in the pool area. Swimming shoes are allowed.
- Pool use is prohibited if you have open wounds or are experiencing a rash or weeping skin.
- If you have other questions or concerns about your ability to safely use the pool please ask a member of our aquatics staff.
- We may arrange for you to have a screening with a member of our rehabilitation services staff to determine how to best use the pool in a safe manner. Screenings are offered free of charge.
Therapeutic Pool Membership Fees
Free memberships will be available from June 1, 2021 until June 1, 2022. The membership will be for anyone that lives or works in our service area (Baldwin, Woodville, Hammond, Roberts, Spring Valley, Glenwood City, Knapp, Wilson), that uses our clinic services, or was a previous member. We will consider requests outside the service area on a case-by-case basis.
The Western Wisconsin Health Fitness Center and Therapeutic Pool are unique as we are attached to the hospital. We frequently have cardiac and pulmonary rehab patients using the fitness center and pool. In order to continue to keep those patients safe, we will need all members to be fully vaccinated from Covid-19 prior to utilizing the free membership. If you need to schedule an appointment to receive your vaccine, please call 715-684-1111.
You will need to show us proof of residence and vaccination from COVID 19 prior to starting your membership.
New members will need to purchase an access card for $10. Existing members will be able to use their current card (cards must be reactivated before use).
In order to best utilize the therapeutic pool we will be limiting the number of swimmers using the facility and requiring 6 feet of physical distancing.
PLEASE NOTE: Swimming lessons are on hold until further notice due to COVID-19. Thank you for your patience and understanding!
Western Wisconsin Health offers swimming lessons for toddler, preschool, and school age beginners. Lessons are available Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Individual lessons available every other Saturday afternoon upon request.
Parent and Child
- Goals are to learn to ask permission when entering/exiting the water and how to perform safely as well as increasing comfort level in the water.
- Introducing movements that are a precursor for stroke development while having fun and being comfortable in the water.
- Minimum age is 6 months.
Preschool Level 1 Exit skills:
- Enter independently, travel 5 yds, submerge mouth and blow bubbles for 3 seconds, and safely exit the water.
- All skills can be performed with support.
- Minimum age of 3
Preschool Level 2 Exit skills:
- Front glide 2 body lengths, roll to back, float 5 sec, recover to standing.
- Back glide 2 body lengths, roll to front, float 5 sec, recover to standing.
- Swim using arms and legs on front 3 body lengths, roll to back, float 5 sec, roll to front and continue swimming on front 3 body lengths.
- All skills can be performed with support.
- Minimum age of 3
Learn to Swim Level 1:
- This level is for children 5 and older who are beginning lessons.
- The skills learned are similar to a combination of those in Preschool levels 1 and 2; however the style of teaching will be more directed toward the learning capabilities of an older child.
Learn to Swim Level 2
- This level is intended for children who have either completed LTS 1 or Preschool levels 1 and 2 and have now reached school age.
- The exit requirements for this level are similar to that in Preschool 3.
- As with LTS 1, the primary difference in classes is the age and applicable learning style of the child.
Cost: $50.00 (8 sessions) 25% discount for each additional child. Cash, check, or credit cards are accepted. Checks should be payable to Western Wisconsin Health. Payment is due upon registration.
Prior to class, please complete the Swimming Lesson Registration Form. Return this completed form with payment to the Western Wisconsin Health Fitness Center to secure class registration.
For more information or to register, please call 715-684-1642 from 7:00 – 11:00 am or 3:00 – 7:00 pm. Individual swimming lessons are available upon request.
Prenatal aquatics may allow women to exercise throughout pregnancy while enjoying the added benefits of a warm water, therapeutic pool environment. We will work with you to develop an exercise routine that combines gentle stretching, range of motion, aerobic exercise and strength training tailored to the needs of expectant mothers. Aquatic exercise may be useful to mothers in any stage of pregnancy and can be equally beneficial for postpartum mothers.
The therapeutic pool at Western Wisconsin Health is heated to 90 degrees with the surrounding air temperature around 88 degrees for optimal levels of comfort. The depth of the pool is 3’6″, increasing to 5’6″. Showers and towels are available.
Benefits of prenatal aquatic exercise
Continuing to exercise throughout pregnancy will help maintain cardiovascular fitness, combat fatigue and aid in adapting to the continual changes that occur during the months of pregnancy and beyond. It can also assist with relaxation/stress management.
An aquatic environment is an excellent place for expectant mothers to exercise for a variety of reasons:
• The pressure of the water can help decrease edema.
• The buoyancy of water decreases the effects of gravity.
• This provides relief from the pressure/ pain experienced throughout pregnancy, particularly in the lower back.
• It allows the opportunity for exercise without the higher impact which needs to be avoided, especially towards the end of pregnancy.
• Certain positions such as lying on your back should be avoided or can cause discomfort, but being in the water allows the mom-to-be a little more freedom in her exercise routine. Relieving this discomfort on a regular basis can help to keep pain under control and prevent muscles from becoming progressively tighter.
Prenatal Aquatics Participation Waiver must be completed by your medical provider prior to participation.
Aquatic Group Exercise Classes
Aquatic group exercise classes are included with your therapeutic pool membership free of charge. Space is limited and pre-registration is required. Class registration begins June 1st.
Start your day off right with this 45 minute introduction to aqua pilates! This new class is designed for people of all ages and ability levels who want to improve flexibility, balance, and strength in a low-impact class. This class runs one month long.
Time: 5:45 – 6:30am Mondays and Wednesdays
This aquatic class is designed to improve circulation, flexibility, balance, and general well-being. By practicing gentle stretches, held for extended times, this class takes full advantage of the benefits of low-impact exercise in our warm-water pool. This class runs one month long.
Time: 9:00 – 9:45am. Mondays and Wednesdays
Aqua circuit focuses on building cardio and strength with the added benefits of improved balance and flexibility. Circuit training allows you to burn calories and build strength in this energizing full body workout. This class runs one month long.
Time: 4:00 – 4:30pm, 4:45 – 5:15pm, 5:30 – 6:00pm. Mondays and Wednesdays
Please visit our events calendar for more details on class offering dates and times.
Therapeutic Pool Amenities
The therapeutic pool has many features to make working out easy.
- A private assisted changing room is available for those in need of dressing assistance with a caregiver such as those with special needs and families with young children.
- The staff operated chair lift assists those who are unable to use the stairs to get in and out of the water.
- A depth of 5’6″ allows more participants to achieve full non-weight bearing status.
- Two propulsion jets can be used for resisted swimming and water running.
- The pool floor is cushioned, decreasing impact on joints.
(Provided at no extra charge)
We provide lockers for all our members. Because the number of lockers are limited, they are available on a per visit basis only.
Showers are provided to all members.
You don’t have to carry that wet towel around in your gym bag. Towels are available to members of the pool and fitness center.
Therapeutic Water Massage
Therapeutic Water Massage is a one-on-one gentle form of Aquatic Bodywork provided in our warm water therapy pool. The receiver experiences stretches, waves, shiatsu massage, spinal articulation, traction and stillness. These types of movements performed in the water vary from person to person as each session is tailored to your individual needs.
Benefits of water massage may include:
- Reduced muscle tension
- Reduced stress and anxiety
- Enhanced range of motion
- Improved circulation
Aquatic Bodywork can be used to help clients reduce pain and discomfort caused by tight muscles and hectic lifestyles. It can also support enhanced feelings of well-being as you relax and float through the soothing water. Water massage can be enjoyed by pregnant clients as well.
Cost: $35 for a 45 min Session.
Session Times vary upon availability. To inquire about availability please call our aquatics department at (715) 684-1646.