Western Wisconsin Health offers the latest treatment options for heartburn and chronic acid reflux disease. Frequent or constant heartburn is the most common symptom of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) — a disease in which stomach acid (or occasionally bile) flows back (refluxes) into the esophagus. Mild heartburn discomfort can often be managed with lifestyle modifications and over-the-counter medications, but if the heartburn is more severe, additional care may be needed to achieve more permanent or long-term relief.
If you are experiencing any of the following heartburn-related symptoms on a daily basis, you should seek medical attention:
- Difficulty swallowing
- Pain or burning in your chest or throat
- Chronic cough
- Sore throat
- Nissen fundoplication (or lap nissen) procedure
- Treatment for weak lower esophageal sphincter (LES)
- pH monitoring
- Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy
- Upper gastrointestinal (UGI) series
- Endoscopic evaluation
- Contrast and floristic diagnostic studies
- Intestinal transit study
The best way to determine your treatment options for heartburn and acid reflux is to make an appointment with our heartburn clinic at Western Wisconsin Health by calling our 24-hour appointment scheduling line at 715-684-1111.