Our Commitment to Sustainability
Our mission as it pertains to the development of our facility and campus is to create a model of sustainable living – a model that includes:
- A physical and social environment that promotes, supports and inspires clients, visitors and staff members to live the healthiest life possible; an environment that makes the healthiest thing to do the easiest thing to do.
- A physical structure and operating practices that sustain the ecological integrity and beauty of our environment.
- A business model that makes our health and wellness services available to the people of our service area and beyond.
Specifically, we will:
- Design and deliver programs that teach people how to optimize their health and wellbeing; programs that address the physical, emotional and social wellbeing of our clients. We will make as many programs as possible available to anyone interested at low / no cost.
- Provide employees and visitors access to natural light and views whenever possible.
- Provide employees and visitors with healthy food options. Eliminate unhealthy options (e.g. no soda, no deep fried foods).
- Power our facility using renewable energy sources. (e.g. geothermal heating and cooling and solar power).
- Protect the natural landscape by managing water on the site to prevent run-off (e.g. retention ponds) and planting landscape with natural prairie plants that do not require watering and support wildlife.
- Reduce demand for natural resource utilization by optimizing use of natural light, utilizing low energy light fixtures, installing low flow toilets, etc.
- Reduce exposure to toxic substances by constructing the facility with low VOC building materials, utilizing eco-friendly cleaning products and processes, and installing high quality air handling systems that circulate fresh air.
- Purchase supplies from sources dedicated to sustainable practices, purchasing as close to our site as possible (e.g. purchasing food from local farms), minimizing waste.
- Grow vegetables on site; teach community sustainable gardening practices.
- Recycle all waste possible (e.g. food scraps to local farms, recyclable materials to local recycling, reuse materials whenever possible).
- Educate staff on sustainable lifestyle practices.